Hear Us

2009-01-30

Like Making Love to a Beautiful, Sweet Woman

The night before the show. We've been working so hard; it's kind of a big deal. During the time I spend alone the night before, I focus on various things. I make checklist to make sure I don't forget picks or straps or clothing or tea or honey. Then I get to string my guitar. For a lot of other players,  the stringing process is a mere chore, an annoyance endured once every few weeks. For me, in the quiet semi-darkness of my room and my guitar there reflecting those bits of light beams from a single lamp, for me, it's a sacred act that I treasure. Like making love to a beautiful sweet woman, I remove the old strings and polish the golden wood and the neck and watch it there, gorgeous. When the job is complete and every string perfectly wound, I place the polished piece of gold back in its case and watch it there. It reminds me of times I used to watch Stephanie sleep and chuckle gladly at all the strange noises and movements she made in that deep dream sleep. My guitar is my woman now and she is silent but beautiful when I have completed. She's lean and ready for the half pageant half war of rock and sweat and beer she will wade into tomorrow and go back in the case and come out again to be loved once again. 

3 comments:

the mederman said...

Marshall - good work on the writing...I read several of your musings. Thought maybe I might be mentioned at some point - the dude that teaches you how to box...punches you about the head and body on occasion and allows you to punch him about the head and body. Maybe mentioning that you are working out with a dude that's nearly fifty wouldn't dazzle any readers, eh? Well, say hello to Travis and good luck on the road (don't let your asses get TOO out of shape out there or I'll pummel the both of yuz).
Mark Mederson from Lord's Boxing

Marshall Galactic said...

Mark, you're killing the mystique! I'm supposed to be like Bukowski, the boxer writer artist. I have to perceived as a hard nosed son of a bitch. You do get the boxing credit, but accept that at your own risk. I'm really glad you're back (kids, obligations, sickness-don't buy it) because the other dude I've been working with said "you don't need head movement to be a good boxer" He's helping me though. Working on defense. See you tomorrow.

the mederman said...

He's right...ditch the head movement. Head movement is for pussies. REAL boxers have degenerative brain disorder...you end up an idiot but fortunately you don't even realize it. Hey, have I given you or your brother a copy of my last documentary film? Just in case I'll bring a copy tomorrow. I talked to Travis about collaborating with you guys on my next doc. Hopefully there will be some money in the budget to make it worth your while. In my last film you can see how the Weary Boys (back in their day) did some instrumental stuff and appeared in the film at a prison concert. It really added a lot to the film...helped to keep the stories of several guys serving life sentence a bit more palatable and upbeat even. See ya' tomorrow.

Post a Comment