Hear Us

2009-05-28

Mapping a Song #1: Space Punk Starlet

Hey earthlings,

Since folks are always asking about the stories behind our songs, and most of the time I just make up an answer like "it's a call for peace on earth" or "Marshall and I were fighting over the same girl- she was 6'5" I thought I'd shine some official light on our songs & their narratives.

For space punk starlet, I had a show-tunes sing along melody stuck in my head. That ooh-eeh-ooh part that you hear throughout the song and prominently during the outro. I also had a little ditty- something like "Going through life is a minuscule man who sleeps in his hands. . . dogs are barking out on the street everywhere and nobody cares."

Now lets get one thing straight. I may have a moment or two when it comes to words, but Marshall is the poet. So I played him what I had and he went to work on a new concept: She's daughter of an intergalactic warlord. He's in a band. He teaches her guitar to keep her father happy and saves the world in the process. It's a love story.. sort of like most of our songs.

Now the outro is another story. Dusty Rhodes is this writer for the Houston Chronicle who gave us a crappy review. Oh, it wasn't TOO bad, but she was gruff and we were young and green and the whole thing was funny as hell. What a name! Dusty Rhodes- if ever there were a girl destined for porn-stardom. "Dusty why aren't you ever coming through? You wrote a bad review." Thing is, I don't know if Dusty has ever heard the song. We should play it for her.


And that, folks, is the story behind Space Punk Starlet. It was one of the last songs we wrote for the album and it was one of the first songs we mastered. Obviously we liked it enough to name the album after it.

-B

more to come

No comments:

Post a Comment