Hear Us

2008-06-27

June 27 - Central Market - Show Report

I spent the last two days emptying my room in Austin of all her things. On Saturday I will be traveling to New York for a month, and a stranger will inhabit my room at our house (and share a bathroom with Marshall Galactic). When I return to Austin, we'll be moving to a new place down the road. So long, old house.

I left Austin yesterday morning. My drive to Fort Worth had a tinge of symbolism. Out with the old, in with the new. We got to Central Market for load-in at 4:30 PM as requested by the booking agency. No one else was there. The sound guy, Dre, laughed at our punctuality.

Central Market is a boutique grocery store with a community element. Their "beer & burger" concert series is heavily attended and, by most estimations, more desirable than a gig at a rock club. For this gig, we were joined by two excellent DFW area bands, Odis & Goodwin. They both rocked the house and cooked up an excellent atmosphere for us to rock. So we rocked.

Strangely enough, I often feel better about our performance at "weird" venues than at big clubs. Something about having to play in bizarre locations - I concentrate a little more. There were kids playing on the jungle gym just a few feet behind the stage.

Our setlist:

We Are The Frontier Brothers
Get Up Go
Take It For Love
Kickstand Woman
Magazine Soul
Everyones A Neutron Bomb
Space Punk Starlet
Girl is an Unsolved Mystery (Groovy Ghoulies)
Robot Song
Robot Song Outro
Dream Collector

The show was a rousing success. The old and the young came together in the glorious name of rock. Shit, I don't know what I'm trying to say here. It was a lot of fun and ended in a raucous and possibly dangerous water-fight on stage.

No more shows until August. :(

Brett

No comments:

Post a Comment