Victoria, Tx. Where? The simple answer for Austinites is that it's to the right and down a long way. We recently returned to Victoria amidst much fanfare to a play our second show at Fanelli's. It was a situation of sorts that could've turned ugly, that's what I wanted to share today.
As usual, the gig is over. I become pumped, spaced, and ultimately really nervous again. I always want to pack shit up as soon as I walk off stage. The other guys prefer to mingle a bit.
I was at the car standing guard over my Boogie and I over hear a heated conversation outside of the place. A white guy, a black guy, and a mexican girl are there. All speak in ebonics.
Apparently this old black fella was given the girl a hard time and her boyfriend steps up. Now I assumed this would be a fight. I had a purple cape on so naturally I wanted to watch the fight, maybe jump in. But to my surprise, the gangster white dude made some pretty good points.
"From what I hear, you been hollerin' at my girl all night"
"(Mumbles something)"
"See I got a problem with that. You know I don't mind having a joke wit chew, but my girl does. It's simple stop hollerin' at my girl. I won't step on your toes, you don't step on mine."
It was a very pragmatic approach to bar dispute. So afterwards I walk up to the guy, careful not to appear in any way like a person who might spontaneously holler. I explained to him that I overheard the dispute and appreciated his peaceful resolution of the conflict. He offered me a menthol and I accepted in the spirit of goodwill.
Hear Us
2008-04-01
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment