Hear Us

2009-02-18

Manifesto #1 - Preface


Mysteries of the Planet Kürr:
An Introduction to the Customs and People of the 8th planet
Orbiting the Great Star (Betelgeuse)


“The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The sciences, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.”
- H.P. Lovecraft

Preface

Hello, my name is Marshall Galactic and it’s been a long time coming. I have put off the monumental effort of chronicling our journey for quite a long time. Though I have examined the circumstances in my own brain and thought hard about my past, the history of The Frontier Brothers, and the reasons surrounding our exodus, I have been hesitant to put the truth to paper. Almost as if all the sour memories were photographs lain aside a long time ago in a chest under the stairs, and to seek them out would bring such a flood of memories and smells and pangs of nostalgia it would be best not to even bother. But as a creature who enjoys hoarding things like paper, clothes, dishes, books, chairs, blankets, amplifiers, and more of the sort, it’s with a masochistic sort of pleasure that I open up my mind and spill all the shit and dust and broken implements back into the world of men.

Also, I need to justify myself. Not only myself, but the “mythos” of The Frontier Brothers as it is currently understood. I worry about things like that. Literary types who scoff at anything outside their comfort zone. Reluctantly, I offer this true story to the sun of popular stupidity. But I do so also with courage. The quote I have placed under the title describes my sentiment pretty accurately. The story of The Frontier Brothers has that kind of affect. It’s frightening. You don’t want to believe, you don’t want TFB to murder your santa claus innocence and expose you to the wider world, making you mad, scattering your natural perceptions.

That’s why it’s rock music. Before you read this piece, please understand that I am not a scientist. The ways that I describe my world, in relation to technology and it’s cultural oddities, are to be understood as the observations of a casual and often distracted observer. Just as most people on Earth barely understand the devices that light their homes, drive them around, and make their shit disappear, I don’t pretend to fully understand the fantastic technology of the 8th planet. But I’ll do my best.

Before you stands the first volume in a series I plan to continue. This, however, is my virgin effort. Enjoy, please. Enjoy it like I enjoy your women and your alcohol, and you will not become bored.

1 comment:

the mederman said...

Hey, Boys...hope all is going well on the never-ending journey. Thought you might be interested in this latest piece of boxing news from ATX - http://bleacherreport.com/articles/129493-big-time-boxing-is-coming-to-town-behind-the-scenes-of-a-top-notch-fight-card
This is a piece that I wrote for a sports website about a GIANT card coming to us in April. (Marshall and Travis - if you want tix you better call Richard soon. Ringside is $200 down to gen adm. $25.)
Hope you guys are showering regularly and have not had to test your boxing skills on each other.
Mark Mederson

Post a Comment